Log in

Hump-back - Posture Issues [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
Posture Issues

[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

Hump-back [Nov. 28th, 2006|03:35 am]
Posture Issues


Hey...this communtity doesn't seem very active anymore...but I figured i'd give it a go anyway.

I'm Karen, i'm 20 and I have quite a large "hump" at the top of my back/base of my neck. It looks a bit like what is commonly known as "Dowagers Hump" - something that is caused by osteoporosis....but I'm pretty sure I don't have osteoporosis and i'm only 20, far from being a Dowager! I'm pretty certain its caused by years of terrible posture and slouching. I'm also fairly overweight, if that might make a difference? It is so unsightly and horrible and ugly...it kinda makes me look like a vulture, with my head pushed forward and this big hump :/ Plus, my shoulders and my neck are always achy and sore.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I'm just wondering if there was any treatment out there for this type of thing? I would go to my doctor...but i'm really embarrassed by the way it looks and kinda frightened i'll be given a stern lecture about my terrible posture and told never to sit at a computer ever again. I have tried to consciously correct my posture...but I can only manage about a minute before my back and neck start to ache like crazy and I have to slouch again to relieve the pain. So, yes. Any suggestions? Muchos appreciated!

[User Picture]From: yet2comeundone
2007-02-07 04:10 am (UTC)
a lecture won't fix it. maybe some sort of brace. or they could duct tape you to a yard stick, but that doesn't seem very efficient. Go to your doc anyway, it's what he's there for.
(Reply) (Thread)
From: (Anonymous)
2007-02-13 06:33 pm (UTC)
If your doctor would treat you bad he's a lousy doctor. But, if he can tell you that you're doing something wrong, and WHAT you are doing wrong, that it still a good thing, right?

+, I know what it's like to feel "ugly" but if you really want a change, maybe you need to check out what kind of help, medical or not, you can get.

I wish you all the best
(Reply) (Thread)
From: (Anonymous)
2008-10-10 09:04 am (UTC)

hump back

Hi Karem I have the same and now that im 59 I try not to let it worry me too much.. I think it just might be fat I was told when I was in my 30sw that it was a dowager hump... but since ive put on more weight it has been more prominent
its due to being overweight and posture.. wear your hair long to cover it... sounds silly but it helps ty Roseann
(Reply) (Thread)